Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics Central (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=299)
-   -   Guns near the President (http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81991)

GeneralTsoGood 17 Aug 09 22:51

Guns near the President

now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

Quote:

PHOENIX About a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, milled among protesters outside the convention center where President Barack Obama was giving a speech Monday the latest incident in which protesters have openly displayed firearms near the president.

Gun-rights advocates say they're exercising their constitutional right to bear arms and protest, while those who argue for more gun control say it could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.

Phoenix police Detective J. Oliver, who monitored the man at the downtown protest, said police also wanted to make sure no one decided to harm him.

"Just by his presence and people seeing the rifle and people knowing the president was in town, it sparked a lot of emotions," Oliver said. "We were keeping peace on both ends."
Man carrying assault weapon attends Obama protest

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?

Ogukuo72 17 Aug 09 23:41

So, was he standing on the pro or anti-Obama side? If it is found that he's pro-Obama, I'm pretty sure the media will take a completely different tune tomorrow.

comm. waffle 17 Aug 09 23:47

Gun control is good, to a certain degree... this is one of them. I love firearms. I don't hunt, I just like to shoot. I don't like total gun control laws, but this doens't think everyone should have a machine gun mounted on the top of thier roofs. Certain places definitly need to have the 'no gun' sign... like where the presient is. If they argue that its against their rights as an American... I'm sure not mentally with it.

Trailboss49 17 Aug 09 23:59

If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.

Crash 18 Aug 09 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailboss49 (Post 1287000)
I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth.

You're eating in a warzone.

craven 18 Aug 09 01:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailboss49 (Post 1287000)
If everyone who was elgible for a gun license got one and wore them wherever they go there would be a lot less crime, more people taking responsiblity for their own actions and everyone treated equally. You can plainly see the law enforcement officers in AZ knew what the law was and respected it. Some cop from New Jersey would probably have had a cardiac arrest from someone actually using their constitutional rights.

I normally eat with several dozen folks armed to the teeth. Indeed, they are not even allowed in the building without a weapon and clip. I had a fruitcake State Department officer come down & visit & he about had apoplexy from seeing all these people with all their guns.

Let me clue you, if someone says they worked a year in Iraq & they didn't get out of Baghdad they didn't really work in Iraq.

LMAO you cant be serious. It amazing how some people view weapons.

Half Pint John 18 Aug 09 03:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralTsoGood (Post 1286966)
now i know the right to bear arms is pretty important to many Americans, but isnt this going a bit too far?

Quote:

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking
?

STOP that! Logic has no place in such arguments. :laugh:

Phebe 18 Aug 09 04:52

Armed men are "milling about" outside where Obama is speaking????

Sheeeeeeeeeeesh, they obviously are fantasizing shooting him.

copenhagen 18 Aug 09 04:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phebe (Post 1287039)

Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.

Deltapooh 18 Aug 09 05:03

Quote:

you arent allowed to bring your gun into the airport for obvious security concerns, why should you be able to in an area where the President of the United States is speaking?

The man wasn't close enough to the President to pose a threat. Had he brought it onto the venue grounds, he would have been in trouble since the location had been federalized temporarily. Furthermore, the man had the weapon in a non-threatening position. The rifle was slung over his shoulder onto his back, with the barrel pointed down. This is very different from holding his weapon at the high or low ready, where it can be quickly brought into a firing position.

To be honest, the guy appeared to be less of a threat than protesters who scream, shout, obstruct entrance into a building, or create a scene in a high-traffic area where an accident can occur.

Deltapooh 18 Aug 09 05:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phebe (Post 1287039)

Maybe its because I've been around guns much of my life, but I don't think having a gun near the president means they want to shoot him. They didn't try to conceal the firearm and get close enough to take a shot. The guy would be at a disadvantage if someone pulled a pistol on him because of the amount of time it would take to bring his rifle to a firing position. I think they were just making a statement about the right to bear arms. CNN quoted the guy talking about the need for people and authorities to be aware of their rights when it comes to carrying a weapon in public.

I'm not going to suggest these people were "pro-Obama", but at the least the guy with the rifle didn't strike me as some whack job looking to turn a national debate into a national tragedy.

Phebe 18 Aug 09 05:41

You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.

At ease 18 Aug 09 06:15

Quote:

Seems like KKK mentality to me. I wont comment on Obama's policies or beliefs, but I consider him a brave man.

The Doctor 18 Aug 09 07:02

Quote:

Dear Leader's presence in the state of Arizona doesn't alter Arizona's open-carry laws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by copenhagen (Post 1287040)
Apparently he has had more threats than any other president on record.

The only source for an abnormal number of death threats is a book by Ronald Kessler, a journalist for NewsMax magazine.

Deltapooh 18 Aug 09 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phebe (Post 1287057)
You may well be right, Deltapooh, but there is a flavor here...........

A sort of undercurrent of wistful thinking. I don't believe they would be testing right to bear arms if a Pres. McCain was speaking at that convention center.

True, particularly if they are clueless to the real intent of the GOP, which is to limit the 2nd Amendment.