View Single Post
Old 01 Feb 12, 16:08
General of the Forums
Russia
Distinguished Service Award ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest/Best Tank of WW2 Campaign 

ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+] ShAA has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exorcist View Post
"Heave ho" ?
I better leave that one alone...
You could at least be helpful to point out what's wrong with this. This is not another political thread after all. I know the idiom, but the dictionaries say it's used as a term for pulling something up, generally by sailors, but also by people of other professions. The original text was "Let's get the job done!", and in a way the poster's style seemed to be closer to American posters of that time than to those made in the SU. At least this is my impression.

Quote:
Great map in the street there, looks like about November of 44.
Quite possibly this is late October - the woman is holding her hand in the area of the Dukla Pass, where the fighting continued until the end of this month.

Quote:
That Gas Balloon... for propane? Wow, makes me wonder if they would shoot anyone stupid enough to be smoking around that thing.
I would.
This is a gas holder, barrage balloons looked a bit different - with pointed noses and "wings" in the rear part. They were filled with hydrogen, which was very hard to get in the besieged city. The standard raw materials couldn't be delivered in required quantities and many factories were stopped because of electricity shortages, and to produce hydrogen they poured water over superheated metal rods. The percentage of hydrogen in its mixture with air didn't have to go lower than 73%, otherwise it became hightly flammable. But because of the short supply of hydrogen, it was filled to the proportion of around 75%, and a single shell splinter would make it a balloon explode immediately (with a higher percentage the gas would either leak out or there would be some time to run). There were cases when shell explosions killed or tossed away 3 of the 4 people carrying a balloon and the only man holding it would go up in the air, holding his rope. In some cases they landed safely, in one case a guy got carried to the Gulf of Finland, landed in the water, but got killed by German machinegunners shooting from the coast near Peterhof.

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour
Sponsored Links