Thread: Best Uniform
View Single Post
Old 20 Sep 07, 21:30
Major General
Canada
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500] Canuckster is a jewel in the rough [500]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zouave View Post
I'm also a fan of Hussars, Swampwolf.

"News from the front" by Mark Churms. Chasseur a cheval of Napoleon's Guard Cavalry ( left ) discusses the latest information on the French Army's progress during the Austrian campaign of 1809, brought to the town by a fellow captain of the 9th Hussars.

Study of a gunner of the French Guard Horse Artillery, by Keith Rocco.

The coat slung over the left arm may have looked dashing but did they actually go into battle with it worn as such?

These are definately beautiful unifroms, I'm thinking about painting figures and most definately it will be Napoleonic but something I've always wondered as these unitorms must have been as cumbersome as all hell in battle. The hats alone must have been a nightmare, probably falling over the eyes at the most inappropriate times. Was there ever any consideration for less formal attire in consideration of more effective wear during battle? Or was esprit de corps the be-all and end-all?