StreamHistory.com
Once A Marine
The Art of Battle
Game Squad
Mil. History Podcast
Russian Army - WW2
Achtung Panzer!
Mil History Online

Go Back   Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History > Current Events > North America

Notices and Announcements

North America Important Events in Canada and the United States. .

Old 16 Jan 18, 06:56
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700] Cambronnne is a glorious beacon of light [700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aber View Post
Whose Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to slaves in Union states?
Of course it didn't.
Under the law, it couldn't.
US presidents don't have authority to rule by decree. So, if you are trying to be critical of Lincoln, I would suggest a different argument.

Churchill to Chamberlain: you had a choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war.
Old 16 Jan 18, 07:54
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+] Bass_Man86 has achieved enlightenment [1200+]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savez View Post
It sure seems that way. But I think its just a cover for progressives to get rid of any vestige of anti-Federalism more than racism. Just like in 1850s and 60s, they are using Black people to enforce their agenda. Then it was in the name of anti-slavery, now its in the name of anti-racism. Both are just covers. SJWs are modern day abolitionists. They are hypocritical to the extreme, some are radical, most are loons.
Give me break! You are clearly a neo-confederate; as I recall you are one the people here that routinely denies that the Civil War was about slavery but rather, that it was about states' rights. I will remind that seven out of the nine states that originally seceded did so because of northern opposition to slavery. So, again as the guy that actually has a MA in history. The Civil War was all about slavery and the states that were trampling on states's rights were the slave owning states; see the "three fifths compromise" and the "fugitive slave law." The only revisionism that I see here is from people like you.

Quote:
The population of slaves would be counted as three-fifths in total when apportioning Representatives, as well as Presidential electors and taxes. The Three-Fifths Compromise was proposed by James Wilson and Roger Sherman, who were both delegates for the Constitutional Convention of 1787.
Three Fifths Compromise - constitution | Laws.com
https://constitution.laws.com/three-fifths-compromise
Quote:
The Fugitive Slave Law or Fugitive Slave Act was passed by the United States Congress on September 18, 1850, as part of the Compromise of 1850 between Southern slave-holding interests and Northern Free-Soilers. ... Abolitionists nicknamed it the "Bloodhound Law" for the dogs that were used to track down runaway slaves.
Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugiti...ve_Act_of_1850

Initiated Chief Petty Officer
Hard core! Old School! Deal with it!
Old 16 Jan 18, 09:43
General of the Forums
Pirate
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon 

Nichols has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri View Post
I don't know or care what it is; you weren't there and you didn't do it. Perhaps your dad, your grandad, your mother or grandmother was; you weren't. Don't take credit.
An good statement.......I wish life was this simple, unfortunately it isn't.
Old 16 Jan 18, 15:24
General of the Forums
United_States
ACG Ten Year Service Award ACG 5 Year Service Ribbon Greatest Spy Movies Campaign Best Pin-Up Of World War II 
Most Significant/Influential Tank Campaign Most Significant/Influential Fighter Campaign Most Significant/Influential Multi-Role Aircraft C Tournament 1 and preceding Mini-Polls 

Mountain Man has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_Man86 View Post
Give me break! You are clearly a neo-confederate; as I recall you are one the people here that routinely denies that the Civil War was about slavery but rather, that it was about states' rights. I will remind that seven out of the nine states that originally seceded did so because of northern opposition to slavery. So, again as the guy that actually has a MA in history. The Civil War was all about slavery and the states that were trampling on states's rights were the slave owning states; see the "three fifths compromise" and the "fugitive slave law." The only revisionism that I see here is from people like you.
It WAS about states' rights, as you would know of you read any of Lincoln's writings. He was not anti-slavery at all, but was willing to do anything, including civil war, in order to force all states to bow to his authority, despite the Constitution which clearly places states' rights above that of the central government, originally created to provide admin services for the states while they went about their business.

Quote:
My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that.

Please bookmark this thread if you enjoyed it!